Monday, October 11, 2010

So, I Finally...

...got around to watching Silent Hill today. You've probably heard of the popular video game series, but you may or may not have heard of the movie. Well, I've always really enjoyed Silent Hill's and Resident Evil's gameplay, but I figured that the movie would be just terrible. Hence, why I'd never watched it before. When I saw that it was on SyFy, I figured, "Why not?" and turned it on.

But you know what? I was pleasantly surprised.

The movie stayed incredibly faithful to the games' standards.
The creepy fog that surrounds and obscures your various characters throughout the course of the games was back in the movie, which I loved right away. You never knew what was out there in the fog, and overall the town was so still and quiet that the creep factor was amplified right away.

Another thing I loved? All the monsters featured in the movie were taken directly from the games.
You can look at her cleavage, but she'll probably cut you. Oh wait, this was a screenshot from one of the games.

Now, the nurses are one of the most widely-recognized enemies in the games, and much of the movie elapsed without so much as a knife-wielding twitch.

And then, the heroine ran right into this.
And I said, plain as anything, "Oh shit."

The movie was, overall, filled with those 'Oh shit' moments.

Another awesome nod to the series?Cybil! Now, there were other character-nods from the games too, but Cybil's was by far the best. And I'd hate to fill this post with spoilers.



But here's where my problems come in. There are no characters that you can really identify with. Crazy sleepwalking child? Not so much. Crazy old cultist leader woman? Nope. Crazy old hobo woman? Not really. Crazyass mom who you're supposed to identify with but can't? Crazy scary Samara-looking girl? Crazy dirty cultist girl?

Are you noticing a trend here? That's one of my other problems with this film. Just about everyone is crazy. Now, there are varying levels of the crazy, ranging from kooky to batshit, but they're all lunatics in one way or another.

Also, the plot gets a little convoluted. It's nothing that you can't understand, but it kinda left me going "Huh...?"

All in all, it wasn't a bad film-- it was quite enjoyable, honestly! It was a fun story, and if you enjoyed the games, you will absolutely love the movie too.

One last note?

Pyramid Head. Can't go wrong with the fact that they featured good old Pyramid Head in the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment