Monday, June 14, 2010

So Apparently I'm Still Quasi-Dying

I've had pneumonia recently, which isn't all that unusual for me. I guess I'm susceptible to it. Well, for the past few days I've been feeling better-- a little woozy, but nothing bad enough to ruin my day. Today when I got out of bed, I was fine. I went about my morning business of showering and getting some breakfast (French Toast sticks are SO DELICIOUS), and relaxed because I knew I had to go to work later today.

My roommate left for work, and I decided that I was very thirsty; not just thirsty, but downright parched. I sat back in my chair and thought about the carton of Tropicana Fruit Punch Whatever in the refrigerator. It felt like it was going to be a long walk, but I decided that my thirst needed quenching.

When I stood up, it was like someone turned the room sideways on me. I was dizzy, nauseous, and my eyes hurt like crazy, as if someone had been pressing on them. Luckily, a bit of flailing saved me (I caught ahold of my desk with one hand and the electrical cord from my Rocky Horror Picture Show light and kept myself standing).

"Huh," I thought to myself. "That was weird." After a few moments, the dizziness seemed to ease off and so I began toddling my way toward the kitchen. I rounded the corner into the hallway and abruptly face-planted on the tile. I don't know if I fell asleep or passed out or what, but the next thing I remembered was thinking about how COLD I was.

Of course I was. I was laying on a tile floor and the air conditioner was running about ten feet away. I then became aware of the fact that I was still incredibly thirsty. I tried to get up. My legs didn't want to work. They felt like weights, or like jellies. Or maybe jelly-weights.

Hell if I know. So, I kind of wormed/crawled my way across the hall and into the kitchen. I used the refrigerator door handle to pull myself into a seated position, opened the door, and grabbed the precious carton of Tropicana Fruit Punch. I thought about getting a glass, but those were in the cabinet above the counters. No way I was reaching those. So, I just opened the carton and took a few swigs, half-propped against the refrigerator. I sat there for a good fifteen minutes, trying to summon up the strength to move.

Luckily, the fruit punch revived me a bit, so I got to my feet with a bit of flailing, put the rest of the juice back in the refrigerator, and stumbled my way back to my room, clinging to the walls for support. I absently reflected on how sad this was.

Now I'm safely seated in my chair, and I'm dreading trying to go to work like this today. Hopefully I don't fall down and make an ass of myself in front of people. A little voice in my head keeps telling me that I should maybe go back to the doctor, but I definitely don't have the money for that. I guess I'll just hope for the best and think positive. Stay hydrated. Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment