Friday, July 23, 2010

Jem

My roommate and I get along fairly well, all things considered. He's a 27-year-old bachelor type and I am a 21-year-old... not-bachelor type. He has his room. I have mine. When he gets on my nerves or I just don't feel social, I just shut my bedroom door and enjoy the privacy until I do feel social again.

But my roommate and I disagree on one very important thing.

I love Jem and the Holograms.

My roommate does not. In fact, my roommate hates Jem and the Holograms.

I also love the Misfits-- you know, the band of 80s punk-style bad girls and they were totally Jem's rivals? I kind of like the Misfits better because whereas Jem sang about love and snuggles and music being magic and truly outrageous and glamour and fashion and fame, the Misfits sang about other, more interesting subjects. Well, in the perspective of an 80s kids' cartoon.

But I digress. Jem is fierce. I dig her huge pink hair and her fashionableness and her awesome 80s makeup. I dig how carefully multicultural the Holograms were. If they remade Jem, I would watch, enthralled, every single day. I would sing along with the songs. I still do when I listen to them on YouTube.

Yes, I've YouTubed the songs from Jem. Me and my friends are Jem girls. Jem, Jem is my name.

Yes, I'm listening to Jem songs while I type this.

My roommate hates me a little.

You see, because of the fact that we live in an apartment without central air, the only way to get nice cool air from our air conditioner is to leave our doors open. Meaning that unless he wants to suffer in a sweltering room, he has to leave his door open. Normally I listen to my music quietly enough that he can't really hear it, but if he does something I find particularly obnoxious, foul, or unpleasant (this morning, I woke up to use the restroom and it smelled like rotten eggs and butt-stank. I literally opened the door and gagged, and was unable to use the bathroom to pee for about an hour), I crank up the volume and drive him insane.

HERE COMES GOLD! GLITTER AND GOLD!

TRULY OUTRAGEOUS, THAT'S A JEM GIRL!

BUT WE'RE THE MISFITS, OUR SONGS ARE BETTER.

Oh, he hates it. Revenge is sweet. So really, if you've gleaned any information at all from this post, it should be that I'm really not a nice person.

No comments:

Post a Comment